Arkansas State University Diversity in Programs
Arkansas State University appears in our ranking of the Top 50 Most Affordable Master’s in Special Education Online Degree Programs.
Students who are looking for just the “right” degree will probably find that program among Arkansas State University’s long list of undergraduate and graduate offerings.
There is, for instance, a plethora of business degrees at ASU. The B.S.A. and M.B.A. programs are both offered in traditional and online formats. There is a Bachelor of Science in Business Economics and a Bachelor of Science in Education in Business Technology, a minor in Entrepreneurship and both a minor and a Bachelor of Science in Marketing among other business-related degrees. ASU also has a rich history in agriculture, and this is represented in the AG-related business degrees. Students can earn a minor or a B.S.A. in Agriculture that focuses on a common body of knowledge in agricultural economics. Other agricultural degrees include a B.S.A. in Agricultural Studies, a Minor in Agricultural Mechanics, an M.S.A. in Agriculture and a Minor or B.S.A. in Animal Sciences.
The school offers both a minor and a B.S. in Psychology. There is an M.S. in Psychological Science, an ED.S. In Psychology and Counseling, an online MS.E. in School Counseling and a Graduate Certificate in Addictions Counseling.
In addition to the school counselor programs, there are several education and teacher preparation programs at ASU. There is an MS.E. in Early Childhood Education and an M.S. in Early Childhood Services, both of which are offered either traditionally or online. Students can earn an MS.E. or a Certificate in Curriculum and Instruction online as well. There is an ED.D. in Educational Leadership that is presented on campus or an ED.S., an M.S. or a Certificate in Educational Leadership that can be earned traditionally or online. There are also degrees in elementary education, special education, education of the gifted, an M.A.T. in Teaching and various certificates in educational fields available at this school.
Students can earn degrees in Criminology, Crime Scene Investigation, Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement, Homeland Security and Disaster Preparedness and in Healthcare Emergency Management.
There are degree programs in healthcare including administration, nursing and occupational and physical therapy, among others. One of the degrees in nursing, the AASN, is an associate degree that is available in three tracks. The Traditional Associate of Applied Science in Nursing prepares students to become registered nurses. The LPN-AASN is an accelerated degree available to LPN nurses who want to become registered nurses. Both are taught in the classroom, but there is also an LPN-AASN that is online.
These are only some of the more than 100 undergraduate degree programs, 65 minors, 72 graduate programs, five undergraduate certificates and 11 graduate certificates available at ASU. Of these, 33 programs are offered online.
About Arkansas State University
This school was founded in 1909 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, as the First District Agricultural School to offer vocational training to the local people engaged in agriculture. In 1918 the institution began offering a two-year college program. By 1930 the name of the school had been changed to The First District Agricultural and Mechanical College, and it offered a four-year program. In 1933 the school became known as Arkansas State College. It assumed its current name and status in 1967.
ASU has a student body of nearly 15,000 students, and the average class has 29 students. The student-to-faculty ratio is 17:1. The main ASU campus houses a branch of the New York Institute of Technology’s Medical Center. Arkansas State University is ranked by the US News and World Report as #9 of Regional Universities-South and as #28 of Top Public Schools. The online bachelor’s degree programs tie for the #4 spot in the listings.
Arkansas State University Accreditation Details
The university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. There are several other special accreditations for programs at the school.
- The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET)
- The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
- The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
- The Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (ACEJMC)
- The Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE)
- The American Chemical Society (ACS)
- The Arkansas Department of Health Emergency Medical Services
- The Association for Play Therapy
- The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
- The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education programs (CAAHEP)
- The Commission on Accreditation in Physical therapy Education (CAPTE)
- The Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CES)
- The Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA)
- The Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP)
- The Council on Academic Accreditation of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology
- The Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP)
- The Council for the Accreditation of Emergency Management Education (CAEME)
- The Council On Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA)
- The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
- The Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRCDMS)
- The Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiological Technology (JRCERT)
- The National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)
- The National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP)
- The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP
- The National Association of Schools of Ars and Design (NASAD)
- The National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration ( NASPAA)
- National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST)
Arkansas State University Application Requirements
All students applying to ASU do so online. Freshmen must create a personal online account and complete the application through that portal. They must pay a non-refundable $30 application fee when they submit their applications. Additionally, they must arrange to have their official high school transcripts and ACT/SAT test scores sent to the university. First-time applicants to the school must also submit two records of MMR vaccinations.
Students applying to the graduate programs at Arkansas State University apply online as well. They must arrange to have all college undergraduate transcripts sent to ASU as well as GRE or MAT scores. The $30 application fee must be paid at the time of application. All ASU students are required to submit documentation of MMR vaccinations. Other required documentation varies according to the department housing the desired degree. Graduate students apply first to the department academic program review committee. Accepted applications are sent with the departmental recommendation to the university graduate program review committee for approval.
Tuition and Financial Aid
The estimated cost-of-attendance for an undergraduate at Arkansas State University is $23,145 per year. This amount includes tuition and fees, housing and meal plans and books and supplies. It also considers some personal expenses. Graduate cost-of-attendance is estimated to be $21,821.
About 90 percent of students at ASU receive some type of student financial assistance. Students apply for federal aid through the FAFSA ( Free Application for Federal Student Assistance) form. This program uses financial need as a qualifying factor for awarding grants, loans and work-study opportunities. After receiving an awards letter from FAFSA, students will have an idea of their remaining student debt. Arkansas funds several scholarships and grants. Among these is The Arkansas Academic Challenge. The university sponsors institutional grants and scholarships according to academic merit, area of study, participation in certain activities and other criteria. These can be found on the school financial aid website page. There are also external scholarships funded by individuals, service organizations, religious organizations, and even corporations. These can be found through an Internet scholarship search.
Student loans are a popular way of meeting student bills. They come with lower interest and a deferred repayment option. Finally, students might consider part-time jobs and work-study opportunities. Students not only earn money for their school debts but gain valuable experience. Guidance counselors at Arkansas State University can help students decide which resources are right for them.