The editors at Best Colleges Online decided to research the topic of
How to Party: You Look Like You Could Use a Few Pointers
Whether you’re throwing a party or attending one, maybe you think you already know how to party. We’ll see about that.
– Andrew WK said, “Put your party where your mouth is.” (Well, he tweeted it, but that just makes it more true.)
– Iron Maiden once spent 20,109 Euro on drinks in a night. Until you’re a rockstar, go with these:
– L.O.C. (liquor of choice)
– Cheap beer (or craft beer, if you’re spendy)
– Mixers (soda, orange juice, cranberry juice)
– Quick Booze Math
– 1 keg = 6.88 cases x 24 beers/case = 165.12 beers
– Are you a binge drinker? In 2 hours, 5+ drinks for men is a binge; it’s 4+ for women.
– See, you are using math for something!
– 4 out of 5 college students drink — don’t forget the plastic cups.
Pick one or several. Or puke a lot.
– Delivery pizza (pssst – disposable plates!)
– Frozen grocery store pizza
– Instant mac and cheese
– Epic 6-foot sub sandwich
– “Oh, you want me to feed you too?! You’re out!”
– 24-hour diner trip (with designated driver or in a cab, please)
– Fruits and Veggies?
– Male college students eat 5 servings of produce per week.
– Females are worse, at 4 servings per week .
– You’re supposed to get 35 servings per week. Ouch.
– Maybe you came with friends. Maybe you’re too cool for friends. (LIAR.)
– How to Look (and Feel!) Approachable:
– Uncross your arms and legs
– Stand up straight
– Lean into others when talking
– Make eye contact
– Take notice of the body language of others
– Ask questions about the person you’re talking to
– How Not to Look (or Feel) Approachable:
– Add “Don’t”s to all the points above. Magic!
– Wait, decor? WTF is this, the prom planning committee?
– All you need are empty cans and the lightweights asleep on your couch. Ta-da!
– If you must, throw in a strobe light.
– Andrew WK also tweeted, “Music is proof that life is meant to feel good.”
– Play what you want, except…
– Avoid Top 40.
– Country, jazz and classical are probably also ill-advised.
– Don’t Google “best music for a party.” If you bust out with the Black Eyed Peas’ “I Gotta Feeling” people will probably leave.
– Actually, there’s always gonna be that one guy who boos every song, so kick him out and you’re good.
– Use your head. And keep your friends close.
– Get your stuff tested (at-home kit or a station at a rave) to make sure it is what you think it is
– That said…
– Risk Comparison of Common Drugs*:
– Alcohol = hang gliding, hypothermia, asbestos – 1 in 1,000 risk of death
– Ecstasy = fighting sports, meningitis, falling down the stairs – 1 in 100,000 risk of death
– LSD and mushrooms = jogging, food allergies, falling out of bed – 1 in 1 million risk of death
– Weed = playgrounds, toxic shock syndrome, sex – 1 in 10 million risk of death
– Ketamine, khat, nitrous and DMT = masturbation, smallpox, spontaneous combustion – 1 in 100 million risk of death
– *Based on a 1998 UK study of chances of death for various activities.
– Yes, having sex on someone’s parents’ bed (especially your own parents’) is gross.
– Be wary of the host’s bed, too…
– Maybe sneak behind the bushes – but check for vom first!
– If you’re too drunk to remember protection, you’re too drunk to @&$#, and way too drunk to be a parent.
– 1 in 4 surveyed students were drunk last time they got freaky.
– Nearly 1 in 2 didn’t use protection. So nearly half of those people were sober?!
– Don’t go home alone. And don’t drive if you’re drunk or on drugs..
– At 0.15 BAC (about 2x the legal limit) you’re 200x more likely to crash.
– Even at legal limit 0.8 BAC, 10x more likely than sober.
– About 1 in 5 college students has driven drunk.
– Don’t call text your ex, or that person you kinda like, or your parents. Social safety is important, too.
– Trust your instincts.
– If you’re uncomfortable, leave (with a friend). There’ll be other parties.
– If someone seems pretty ill, consider the hospital. They might be okay… or not.
– Hangovers. Ugh. Eat a meal and train your drunk self to drink lots of water.
– Fight the beer belly: hit the gym.
– If you slept with the wrong person, or hit the wrong person, or slept with the person you hit… be adult about it and live to party another day.
Top 5 Colleges to Aim For (If You Wanna Party)
– University of Georgia
– Ohio University
– Penn State University
– West Virginia University
– University of Mississippi
Top 5 Colleges to Avoid (If You Wanna Party)
– Wheaton College (Illinois)
– U.S. Coast Guard Academy
– U.S. Air Force Academy
– Wesleyan College
If your grades or job are suffering, slow down. Partying is about enjoying life, not screwing it up!